From Coach Jerry: Landon is a very talented runner who has improved significantly during his time with NOVA. Landon has thrived in our men’s A group, and as he continues to work hard, the results will continue to come. Landon has a big marathon breakthrough in him, and I expect big things from him in 2020.
1) What are your PRs (5k, 10K, Half/Marathon, any others?)
2) Goal race(s) for this year? Other races planned?
I am planning to run London at the end of April with my brother but my goal race this year is Grandma’s Marathon in Minnesota this summer.
3) What do you consider your best race performance to date?
My best performance to date was my run at the NYC marathon this past fall.
4) How and when did you find NOVA, and what do you like best about the team? When I moved to DC 2.5 years ago, I researched running teams in the area and emailed Jerry. He got me in contact with Greg and the rest is history. I love how the team really fosters goals for runners of all abilities. I think this outreach has helped the club integrate into the local community and has fostered relationships that go beyond running.
5) What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received from Coach Jerry, and/or another member of the NOVA club? No one piece of advice sticks out but I have found the structure of our workouts to be highly beneficial. Building into the intervals and ending them faster than when we started has helped me build both mental and physical endurance, two skills there are critical in the latter stages of the marathon.
6) What thoughts do you have on your performance at the NYC Marathon? NYC was an all-around amazing experience. The weather was absolutely perfect that day and the crowds were unbelievable. There truly is nothing like running one of these major marathons. I had a game plan to break 2:40 but when the gun went off and I got going, I was cranking out miles faster than I anticipated. Despite that, I felt in control and went for it. I was on pace for 2:35 until the later stages of the race. While I didn’t maintain that pace the last few miles I PRed and discovered I still have the potential for faster PRs down the road.
7) What non-running fitness related (or other) activities do you enjoy?
Outside of running, I love backpacking, tennis, and theater!