The Tuesday night track workout is the main focus of the club.
The goal of track workouts is to increase strength, endurance, and speed. The sessions last for about an hour. NOVA Head Coach Jerry Alexander designs and oversees the workouts, during which he advises on pace, race preparation, injury prevention, and running form. We get, on average, about 50-70 people per workout.
- 6:30-6:45pm: Warm-up (one to two miles)
- 6:45pm: Welcome/Announcements, striders, workout starts
- 7:30pm-8pm: Workout concludes, cool-down (one to two miles)
Tuesday track workouts are at 6:45pm, typically either at Wakefield High School or Washington-Liberty High School in Arlington. Our practice locations and times vary based on track availability, so for the latest information please see the Google Calendar below (click on an event to see its location details). You may also check our Instagram story on the day of practice (@novarunningclub) or reach out to Jim and Erin, our Membership Coordinators (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Stay in Lane 1 while running your hard intervals, and move to Lanes 3 & 4 when jogging between intervals or waiting for the next interval to start
- Pass on the outside and move immediately to the inside once safely past the runner ahead of you
- When you finish an interval, run directly through the finish line, then check over your shoulder for any runners behind you before moving out to the outer lanes of the track
- We have seven different pace groups, so you’re likely to find a group that fits your ability. Or, speak with Coach Jerry on a way to modify the specific workout to fit your needs. The interval targets for each pace group are communicated in the Monday newsletter — please stick to the targets. With multiple pace groups working out at once, it’s important to pay attention to your lane and fellow runners on the track
- Bring your own water to practice! We try to provide extra water and/or Gatorade during the summer months, but in general everyone is responsible for their own hydration
- Wear proper attire for the weather that day (i.e. bring extra warm clothes for the warmup and cooldown during colder months, and wear light clothes for workouts during warm months)
- Be encouraging and supportive to your fellow runners
- Talk to the NOVA Coaches or President if you have questions or concerns before the workout
- No foul language please, as we are on public school property
Considering joining the NOVA team?
Come run with us at a Tuesday evening track workout to see what we're all about.Membership Info ›