The Northern Virginia Running Club (NOVA) is a leading DC-area professionally-coached running team dedicated to promoting running and racing for its 250 members.
NOVA hosts two practices a week in Arlington, Virginia: coached track workouts on Tuesday evenings (our main event!) and tempo runs on Thursday evenings. The team is skillfully led by Head Coach Jerry Alexander whose training program takes a thoughtful and conservative approach to helping runners get faster with an emphasis on staying healthy.
As a member of Road Runners Club of America (RRCA), NOVA welcomes runners of all levels and ages. The club is a diverse group made up of local elite athletes, former collegiate competitors, top Masters runners, long time members, and new runners training for their first race. NOVA serves to fill an important niche in the running community for serious runners who seek to train under the guidance of a professional coach in the company of a friendly, welcoming community of dedicated runners, all of whom recognize the importance of balancing running with full professional and personal lives.
Come check us out
We welcome prospective members of any ability to come run with us at a Tuesday night track workout in Arlington. Please fill out our participation waiver to let us know you’re coming, then just show up. We look forward to meeting you!
Join the team
The benefits of a NOVA membership include:
- Monday night team newsletter
- Tuesday night coached track workouts
- Thursday night tempo runs
- Monthly happy hours
- Opportunities to race with the NOVA team
- Special events throughout the year
- Trail cleanup, summer picnic, NOVA 5k, holiday lights run, end-of-year team party & awards ceremony
- Access to Strava and WhatsApp groups
- Club discount at Potomac River Running
or $95 for two years
or $140 for two years
Under the direction of Head Coach Jerry Alexander, NOVA has developed into one of the strongest and deepest non-sponsored running clubs in the DC area. In addition to coaching NOVA, Coach Jerry coaches Georgetown Running Club (GRC), where he has coached 16 athletes who have qualified for the United States Olympic Trials Marathon, including 8 who qualified for the 2024 Trials. Coach Jerry is dedicated to helping each athlete reach their goals and meet their potential.
Board of Directors
NOVA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization steered by an elected volunteer Board of Directors composed of club members who manage the club’s finances, operations, and activities.
- Tom McCarthy, President
- Erik Uribe, Vice President
- Greg Swiatocha, Treasurer
- John B. Hall, Webmaster
- Jim Cari, Membership Coordinator
- Erin Swiatocha, Membership Coordinator
- Michelle Cullum, Social Media and Communications Coordinator
- Will Sullivan, Newsletter Coordinator
- Colin Winchester, Resource/Fundraising Coordinator
- Eden Slater, Member At Large